release went on until 11 p.m. I made my order and went to bed. I really wanted to create a submission for the guest designer but how would I be able to do that after working all day, picking the kids up from daycare, stopping by the grocery store, fixing dinner, cleaning up, and making a card good enough?
I shoveled down my dinner and dashed from the table to the basement (my craft area!) leaving a huge mess and kids who were like "hey, where did mommy go?" and pulled out my supplies. I already had the scallop shell idea so found an image on the internet during the day and printed and enlarged it to the size I wanted and used it as a template. And I knew I was using the By the Seashore set by MFT so it should come together easy right? Wrong at about a few minutes to 8 p.m. I was about to abandon the entire project and try again next time, but perseverance paid off. I photographed it and bolted upstairs (2 flights) to my office and had to download the images and tweak, then upload them to Splitcoast, then make an entry on the MFT thread...all done with 6 minutes to spare! Yikes! Winning isn't even a thought...I am just glad that I participated and could come up with a good card under so much pressure with a tight time frame!
Here's what I did:
- Traced the template onto cardstock and then flipped the template over so it mirrored the first tracing. Cut it out and folded it over at the top. Required a bit of trimming/tweaking to get everything aligned perfectly.
- Then I spritzed the card with Vanilla Breeze Glimmer Mist. I love that stuff...so sparkly! Then I used my stylus and the track on my paper cutter and added some shell lines. Last I used Tim Holtz Distress Ink in walnut stain to ink the edges and bring out the lines.
- I stamped the By the Seashore elements on white cardstock and used watercolors and an aquapainter to color the images. I then cut them out to place on the card but it looked too boring so I added the chip board
- I used a scallopped chipboard circle from Technique Tuesday and water colored the entire piece. Then I mixed up some Sno-Tex with a drop (not even....just a smidgen) of Ginger Adirondack re-inker to make "sand". I spread this at the bottom of the chipboard and heat set (I was on a time crunch!). Then I stippled white ink for clouds and stamped the birds in the sky.
- I added the images to the chipboard, then the entire piece to the card and finished by adding the seagull and pier posts. The ribbon just finished it off. I would have loved to add more embellishments but time would not allow.
Thanks for looking!